Thursday, May 26, 2011

Dogs on the farm

Today we have a refreshing change from chickens, but tomorrow it's back to poultry. We've been having a lot of rainy, crappy weather this spring. The farmers are having trouble planting their fields and it is getting too late to plant corn. Our fields aren't planted yet either (we rent out 50 acres to a local farmer.) They are still too soggy to drive a tractor across.

This past Victoria Day weekend, we had a few hours of warmth and sun, but not much! The dogs took advantage of every second. Here's Tristan relaxing...

 

Going...

 

going...


...gone!

Handsome!



Sweet Sophie. She is 8-1/2 now and starting to show her age in fur, but she has not slowed down one iota! Tristan is the same age and I am noticing more changes in him, but he is a bigger dog and the bigger they are, the faster they age.


Sophie LOVES balls. This ratty old soccer ball has been hanging around the farm for several years now! It has survived numerous winters and is half deflated, but Sophie doesn't care.



This blue ball is one of her favourites.



She is excellent with the chickens, as is Tristan, but she didn't want them stealing her ball!



Sophie by the wood shed.




I love my girl. Quelle belle chienne!



Not a dog, but still pretty. This is the flowering plum tree we planted in memory of my friend Carol, who died in 2007 at the far-too-young age of 42. I wrote about her for the Globe and Mail's Lives Lived column, which you can read here. This tree is near my kitchen window, and every time I look at it, I think of Carol. It is so pretty when it blooms!

Stay tuned for a festival of chickens, coming soon...


11 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Natalie. I know the feeling of losing a close friend at an early age. It changes you. I love that you planted a tree for her. Your dogs are so sweet. I love their faces. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 am

    Ahh. My morning cup of sunshine. Just as rejuvenating as the rays currently hiding behind the soggy clouds today. I love your blog, Natalie. Sweet dogs. Beautiful blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful doggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:01 am

    Nice tribute to Carol. Lovely doggy chicken photos. I'd like to see a bit more of that beautiful-eyed gekko too. I didn't realise they could be so pretty until I saw your one in the blog banner. What sort of personality do gekko's have, I wonder. Probably weary but patient tolerance of our brief stay on earth before the lizards dominate again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the doggies! Sophie reminds me of my Foxie who also likes balls. One never forgets those whom we have come to cherish when they must leave us. The tree is a sweet tribute to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deb! :) And the doggies are my loyal, frequently-farting companions.

    CogDis, thank you for the lovely compliments! We've been under a severe thunderstorm watch all day... very grey and humid.

    Ronna, they looooove you!

    Andrew, thanks so much. And I will have to do a gecko photo-shoot. It's been a while! I think you have accurately portrayed their personalities. Hahahahaha!

    Pilgrim, thank you for stopping by. Funny how some dogs are just love carrying around a ball, and others don't care about it. And yes, it's important to remember our loved ones who have left us, however we do that. The tree makes me smile and think of Carol's sweet nature.


    Pri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just finished reading your tribute to your friend Carol...very touching, sad and sweet.

    Your dogs, of course, are most handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your two pups! Ours have decided that no matter how crappy the weather, they go swimming every day, even while it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute! Sophie looks like she’s always smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet photos of your gorgeous dogs. Your flowering plum tree is beautiful and an endearing and enduring way to remember a very special friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Fran. I miss her!!

    Monika, mine do that too and I don't get it! :)

    David, she has a lovely smile and uses it often.

    Paula, thanks. We need to plant a tree for Gordon's Dad, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!