Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Creatures in my life

I have been trying to get this post up- for two days. Argh! Finishing up the last of my honey extraction, treating my bees for varroa mite, doing my other chores, doing some writing, blah blah blah list goes on. 

Got a new honey customer today who bought an entire case from me (12 x 1 kg jars.) I was very pleased. She goes through a lot of honey and said she would be back for more. I showed her some of my hives. She talks to bees too, so I'm not the only nutcase around these parts!

AND last weekend we bought a TRACTOR that arrives tomorrow! a Kubota 4600L or something like that. Photos to follow upon its arrival.  Gordon is incapable of tinkering with machinery, so after much debate and years of study, we bought new.

Meanwhile, I have gone back to my naturally curly hair state...


...and Sophie HATES having her photo taken! It's a miracle she looked at the camera for this.

The hair... I never ever straightened my hair until about two years ago, then decided to do it for fun. But now I am tired of Mr. Flat Iron and I miss my natural curls/waves, so there you go.  My hairdresser has some grand plan for my hair, apparently. :)

Meanwhile, darling Louise is being spayed tomorrow...


We get to bring her home FRIDAY!! I cannot wait. I have an array of new cat toys and treats to keep everyone busy and distracted. I am so longing to spring her from the joint.

And I took some bug macros last week..,


Stink bug (I think) on a pumpkin!


And another bug  on pumpkin...



SO cute! Look at those itty-bitty bug eyes! Feel free to identify it for me. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet.


And here is a bumblebee on a sunflower, thoroughly dusted in pollen.



All the pollinators are going crazy on the sunflowers right now, as they are one of the few things still blooming. There are some asters, sedum and coneflowers still out, but the goldenrod is done!



Still some borage, too! I planted white and blue. This is Ms. Honey Bee with her little green friend!



And hello, crab spider! Love her bright yellow colour against the blue borage.



And a long-horned bee doing a headstand. I watched her get covered in pollen, then dive out head first. She was wiping her back legs as she did this, but it looks like she's drunk on gold dust!


I think these long-horned bees are terribly cute. But then, I think all bees are terribly cute. 


Look at that! Three bees and a caterpillar, all enjoying the sunflower.




And hello there, assassin AMBUSH bug!
(Sorry, I had a brain fart yesterday and typed "assassin" instead of "ambush"!)


These little guys look like total space aliens!

Have yourselves a fantabulous Wednesday evening.

xoxo

17 comments:

  1. I love your bug photos. Amazing. Funny how the pumpkin lovers are orange and black. "Yah" for Louise. I hope all goes well with her spay. She will really need to be loved and pampered after that. Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will be sure to coddle her!! I will keep her in the guest bedroom to start and we'll go through the gradual introduction process. :)

      Delete
  2. I can see why this post took a while. I really like macro of insects. You see so much more that it's like a different creature.
    Now why didn't you get those big horses instead if a new tractor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, Red, the horses are still on the agenda. We are having pasture planted for them this fall, and we have to do fencing and a shelter. Hope to get them next year! The tractor will be good for moving round bales of hay. :)

      Delete
  3. Long, my hair is straight...short, my hair is straight...in between I have mad curls I just can't deal with ,so BRAVO!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I was ever able to control my hair was the last few years when it was straight and I could flat-iron it into submission. :) And it's always fun when there's humidity!! :0

      Delete
  4. Those macros are very nice as usual. Those bugs have a world of their own. I can't wait to see Louise home having a good time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO looking forward to her arrival here! Spay is today so I will be a bit worried but I'm sure it will go okay.

      Delete
  5. My dog won't look at the camera either. If she sees a camera, she slinks away into a dark corner as if she did something wrong. How are the college students (ex-ducklings)? I know... they never call... never write...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like the dogs think the camera will steal their spirit or something!

      The ducklings are huge and I have been remiss in photographing them. I'll work on that.

      Delete
  6. Wow, incredible photos! The The bug on the last two photos really looks life out of this world! But so many insects do. Animals don't have problems in sharing a nice sunflower!

    I like your curly style... natural is always the way to go: so much less work and fuss!

    Cannot wait for your little fluffy one to come hom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really freaky-looking bugs around here! :)

      Lots of pics of Louise will appear soon, I'm sure!

      Delete
  7. I dread to think how the assassin bug got its name, but I can believe it, looking at the picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops, I accidentally typed "assassin" instead of "ambush". But if you want to see them in their dastardly killing mode, check out this post from last year:

      http://knatolee.blogspot.ca/2012/08/drama-in-garden.html

      Delete
  8. Coming home to a place like yours is heaven for any animal. Even I would love to become adopted by you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww! But the same could be said of you and Sue! Give Dutch and Hermann kisses from me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only one more sleep till kitty comes home!
    Love the bug pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!