Saturday, May 27, 2017

Happy birthday, Roo!

Yes, today is my horse Roo's 11th birthday, but first...


...these two CRACK ME UP! Emerson and Saul just love each other and they are both so snuggly! What a pair.

And yes, my Quarterhorse Roo has a birthday today!



(Photo by Deborah Wilson)

We've had so much fun together the past two years! 


Here we are on MY birthday in January, which was the last time I rode before my concussion. But as of last Sunday...


...I am back in the saddle again! Woo hoo! It felt so great to go on a trail ride. We didn't go any faster than a walk but it was fantastic. (And my shirt says "Motivated by Cats and Caffeine" ... I got it from one of my fav Etsy shops, RC Tees!)


Gordon and I went out with our friends Debbie and Luc. The woods are greening up nicely and it was a beautiful ride. We trailered Roo and Sandy over to Luc and Debbie's place, and left from there. They have beautiful trails right by their property.


Here's Roo with his girlfriend Ella, waiting for the stock tank to fill. I love my big goofy horses. He'll get a treat later today.

The cats are all hanging in there.


Last weekend some friends of Russian heritage visited from Ottawa and brought these delicious homemade Russian marshmallows, flavoured with apples and cranberries. Alex wanted some but I would not share!

Missy gave us a bit of scare the other week...


She disappeared in the barn somewhere for about 24 hours. We finally found here hiding behind the hay bales. She had somehow injured her foot and wasn't putting weight on it, so off to the vet she went. He couldn't find anything obviously wrong.  It might have been a tiny ligament tear. She came in the house for a few days to get medication and rest (and hated every minute of her time in Gordon's office!) but she healed quickly and is back to her normal, chatty self. Phew!

And here's the reason(s) my front porch is a muddy mess littered with chewed-up cardboard...


Dodger, Mootie and Gigi look very proud of themselves.

On another note, I wrote a piece for the Ontario Beekeepers' Association's journal, for their "Meet a Beekeeper" column. It was just published, with my photos!






So nice to see my writing in print!

And if you're in our area, we are having an Open House and fundraiser on June 17th:



I am off to give my horses some carrots! Have a great weekend.

9 comments:

  1. Oh wow that you're able to ride again, Natalie. And Happy Birthday to Roo. He is a handsome horse. Congratulations on your printed article. I also love seeing myself in print! What a beautiful photo of your animals on the porch. They look so self-contented. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you again! That first picture is just awesome!
    Happy Birthday to Roo!
    I desperately need some of your honey. Do you sell them online?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to see someone with their priorities in tack . . . a simple life lived with loving animals . . . that's the good life:)
    Happy Memorial Day!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you riding again. It takes a while to get the confidence back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing! Happy birthday to Roo! (Hey that could be the first line of a song!)

    So thrilled you're back in the saddle again. Can't believe how long it's been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Roo!

    I'm glad you're able to get back in the saddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Roo! Glad you are able to get back on board.

    Congrats on the article too.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which I love to read!